Kilmeny Church


Kilmeny Church, situated in the north of the island, is a B-listed Parliamentary Church built in 1828.    The original plans for the church were remodelled by the heritor at the time and the church was built within the wooded grounds above the main Port Askaig / Bridgend road.   The building was again altered in the late 1800s when the two doors on the gable walls were removed and a porch added to the front wall.   One of the two galleries situated on the gable walls was removed and a pulpit placed below the window.   Pews were introduced to replace the long table and in 1980 the remaining gallery was removed as it was unsafe.   The building is in a very good state of repair and is bright and welcoming.   Welcome leaflets are placed on every pew for any visitors to the church and a leaflet about the church is available in the porch for any enquirers.

There is a worship service every Sunday at 10.00am with Communion held twice a year in May and November.    During the vacancy however, Communion is held at a joint service in one of the three churches in our union.   A member of the well-established Worship Team leads Sunday worship when the minister is elsewhere in the charge.

Regular events are held throughout the year, some in the church and some in the local village hall and these are well supported by people within and outwith the parish.   During the summer months a cup of tea with home baking is served in the vestry after the service as an opportunity for any visitors to meet and speak to congregation members.  

Special services include Harvest, Remembrance and Christmas, the latter two well supported by the community, as is an annual Songs of Praise in August.

The local primary school children hold their Harvest and Christmas Assemblies in the church and the minister is a frequent visitor to the school.

Contact details:

Marsali Thomson

01496 810 236